Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Time for a change. Scary change.

I am a creature of habit. It took me two years to change my coffee-and-wine-stained keyboard, FFS, even though I had to train myself to only use the right shift-key.

I have things that I like, and I don't want to stop using them, in other words.

But, it's time to say good-bye to a dear old friend. I bought this Altoids tin in a disgusting gas station somewhere between Las Vegas and Laughlin. I don't even really like Altoids, but I saw it at the counter, and thought, "that would be great for knitting notions!"

And that was back in the day, before I was loud and proud with my knitting. I only knit at home. Alone.

And, it has been great. It's held my mini-scissors, two darning needles (one of which I've had for 15 years, isn't that a record!) many, many stitch markers and point protectors.

That dear tin has been a very good friend.

But lately, I've been stuffing it so full that the lid is popping off the hinges, and no matter how much I try, the lid keeps popping out.

So, seeing the future, I stopped in at Sugar Mountain, on my way to seeing a Fringe play, and looked for a souvenir. I don't buy "merchandise", but wanted a memento.

I bought a minty tin:We will be very good friends. And every time I look for my darning needle or a stitch marker, I will be reminded of Bloodless: The Trial of Burke and Hare, by White Rabbit Productions.

New notions tin, I hope we have a long and happy life together.

The same cannot be said for the new keyboard. I am unimpressed with the size of the backspace key (which is employed frequently).






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just surfing by ... and happened upon your blog.
Do a Search for a KnitKit. It has the same knitting notions as your original Altoids tin. Designed by someone who wanted to step up from having a grotty tin or from looking all around in the bottom of their knitting bag for the exact thing they wanted to find. Costs around $20.
(Am no relation to the designer nor do I work for the company. I am saving up to get one for myself.)

I am surfing knitting blogs while procrastinating from the Knitting Olympics. (See February 10 and 12 entries on the Yarn Harlot blog if you need some educating.)
I am so terribly behind in my knitting, and have so much hip and back pain that I may withdraw due to injury. (The pain in not knitting-induced; at least, I don't think it is.)

Happy knitting,
Janey

Anonymous said...

Came across the URL for the Knit Kit mentioned previously.
Here: http://www.theknitkit.com/

I really, really want one!

Janey
janeyknitting (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca
(Change bracketed caps to symbols and lose the spaces.)