Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What I haven’t admitted

There’s a reason for the lack of knitting on this here knitting blog.

The reason is that it hurts to knit. Any more than 20 minutes, and I want to cry with the pain.

I’ve had pain like this before, and I’ve worked through it (meaning, ignoring it). But now, there are lumps on the tops of my hands, where there were no lumps before. I can barely type. It’s a constant steady throbbing from my wrist to my elbow. It hurts to do things, like open a door, lift the year-end audit file, chop vegetables.

Both arms hurt equally. What I did three months ago, with ease, is now a major challenge. Things like unloading my dishwasher. Seriously, this hurts. Combined with the sciatic nerve business, I'm a wreck. A shell of myself (or so I would like to think, anyway).

What has happened is my inability to relax has caused the tendons and muscles in my upper forearms to shorten.

However, the prognosis is good. I’ve learned some stretches, to take breaks, to hold my wrists straight as I type (yes, I remember my typing teacher, and getting my knuckles rapped. I am that old. Or that rural. I'm not sure which).

But still, I must slow down. Perhaps stop. Even ask for help.

Asking for help is the hardest part.

ARGH!

P.S. N, I love you. Thanks for your help. I truly couldn't manage, as you well know.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Really sorry to hear that. I could tell you weren't your usual happy self last Tuesday.

I hope you get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Wish you would ask for help... dying here with the little monsters. We could use some 'helpfulness'.
=)