Saturday, May 5, 2007

Not much knitting going on.

Rainy today. Not nearly the fun day that last Saturday was.

Mostly because I went to Canadian Tire. Remind me to never go there again on a Saturday. All the stupid people were out, and my tolerance for stupid people is just about zero. Unless they express an interest in knitting. Then, I have infinite tolerance.

I was all jiggy from drinking an entire pot of coffee, and having a deliciously flirty conversation with Tall Cute Boy, so, no knitting this afternoon. I washed the floors instead. Blegh, but a necessary job.

And, my delightful former roommate came for a visit. She's never been here before. We had a wonderful time. I even cooked for her, and I can count on one hand the number of times in my life I've cooked for others. Sure do miss her. Don't miss living with her. I suspect she says the same about me. I suppose I could have knit then, but I just didn't get around to it.

Now, at nearly bedtime, I'm considering turning on a movie and stitching few rows. The shawl and socks have not progressed much this week. Again, it's my fault. Karaoke at the watering hole got in the way. Damn, it was fun, but I sure didn't feel good at work the next day. I can't believe I used to do that on a regular basis. If I were my boss, I would have given me a stern talking-to, for coming in drunk and barely doing anything all day. Plus, it was the annual shareholder's meeting. Just the perfect day to be smelling all boozy in the elevator. Once I got to my desk, I stayed there.

Plus, I'm taking a crochet class. Let's be honest here: I don't care for the look of crocheted fabric. The patterns are crap, and really, two sticks are better than one. That said, I think knowing how to crochet would be a useful skill. It aids in finishing, and there are beautiful crocheted edgings that I think are wonderful additions to garments. So, I think I need to know how in order to add to my proficiency as a knitter.

The class was a disaster for me. Our teacher is a lovely person, and well on her way to becoming a dear friend of mine. This disaster is not her fault: it's mine. There were others who deserved her attention, so I furrowed my brow, grabbed her copy of Happy Hooker, and tried to figure it out. To my credit, I can execute a double crochet with a certain amount of flair, but the rest of it is a mystery to me.

It's my fault because I walked in a little too cocky, thinking that I was pretty bright, and I could pick this up, no problem. Nope, just like I tell everybody else, learning a new skill requires patience and practice. Even for me. The knitting goddess has been pretty kind to me, so the crochet god smacked me upside the head (yes, I think the crochet god is a man. It's the only way it makes sense to me).

On the up-side, Tall Cute Boy and I are meeting for sushi tomorrow night. He doesn't know it, but he just passed a very important test. Sushi is my favourite cuisine in the entire world. If you are going to spend time with me, you had better like sushi.

I hope the phone tag all week to make arrangements for this will be worth it. It really does cut into my knitting time.

Pictures soon. I promise.

4 comments:

Deborah Cryderman said...

I KNEW the crochet god was a man. I knew it! It had to be. I hope you give him a kick in his boy bits by becoming really, REALLY good at it (crocheting, not kicking men in the boy bits. I mean, if you want to be skilled at that, too, by all means - go for it.)

Deborah Cryderman said...

Hey... I have another knitty question for you. I was given a gorgeous knitted silk sweater. It fits like a dream except the length. The length inspires me to put on leggings and legwarmers... Anyway, can I unravel it from the bottom and knit a new bottom??

Misstea said...

Hmmm. You could. But, if the sweater was knit bottom up, that's a huge pain in the ass. You would have to pull the yarn through every stitch. Top-down? No problem.

You would be better off cutting a stitch near where you want the new edge, picking out one row and seeing what happens from there.

But, there is absolutely no reason why you can't shorten it. It's the unravelling and getting gauge that's tricky. Past that, easy-peasy.

Deborah Cryderman said...

I KNEW you'd have the answer. Thank you! I think your blog needs to branch out into an advice column!