Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Waxing philosophically

I was going to write a blog entry tonight. About current knitting, knit night, domestic projects, the ever-expanding shelves of sprouting seeds. And more thoughts about Sunday's date. Which was even nicer in retrospect, thankyouverymuch.

Thanks to J, I was given the opportunity to break my book-buying fast and purchase Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off.

There is a reason I broke the fast. Yarn Harlot was my first faithful-read blog, and from there, I discovered that I wasn't alone. I had no idea there was this enormous community out there who shared my obsession.

I loved yarn and knitting from the moment two dpn's with rubber-bands for stoppers on the ends were placed into my hands, nearly 18 years ago. I have always had a project on the go. While I may have put knitting aside for a time, because of work, or education, or another hobby, or various other reasons, knitting has defined a significant part of who I am since I was 15. I was never particularly ashamed of it, and always knit at parties, and cheerfully showed off what I was working on to any guests, but since I found this elusive place, I have made it a priority. I have stopped brushing off the compliments. I have challenged myself to become better at this craft.

And you know what? I'm grateful. Being loud and proud, as it were, has given me much joy during a year where much has changed, for the better, mostly (though any change is hard for me), given me security when I needed something to hang on to, and made me reach out during a time when I didn't really feel like reaching out.

Thank you, J, for cluing me in. Thank you, D, for coming over to my house one day and saying "hey, I knit too!" Thank you, L, for insisting that I bring yarn and needles to teach you. Thank you, Wolseley Wardrobe. Thank you, teacher. Well, I can't thank you enough. Thank you, bloggers, for putting it all out there.

Why yes, I have had three glasses of wine. I'll get going on dinner right away.

3 comments:

Deborah Cryderman said...

It's as "bringing together" as religion, isn't it?? Thanks to YOU, too!!! An inspiring sermon (and not at all sermon-y!)

Misstea said...

I was thinking it was very sermon-ish after I posted it.

Didn't mean to lecture. I'm just so happy to have made knitting a priority. It's made a lot of crap much more bearable.

Anonymous said...

Misstea,
Reading Yarn Harlot was my introduction to the blog world and the large underground of supportive knitters out there in the world. I was so happy to find the great group of eclectic people at Wolseley Wardrobe who share a love of knitting. I am sorry I have had to miss the past 2 weeks, but I am back from my wild road trip now! I love reading your blog! Take care.