Sunday, May 25, 2008

It was my mom's birthday, but I got the presents

This was my kitchen at 11 pm on Friday night:


This was my kitchen at midnight:


These were the pies at 8 am Saturday morning:

The pies made it to Nodnarb via public transit and Greyhound successfully.

And were a big hit, I tell you. I had a piece (I normally don't eat baked goods) and it tasted pretty good, if I say so myself. Next time (if there is one), I'm going to add peaches.

And mom decided to drive me home. There was no arguing with her, because with me as an excuse, she got out of playing "supportive spouse" at my dad's favourite cause. We stopped at a greenhouse on the way (owned by a fellow congregant at my parent's church, don't ya know). Just to "look."
You see, last spring, while I was taking long walks exploring my neighbourhood, I saw all these amazing trees with pink and white flowers. Gorgeous. I found out that those trees were ornamental crab trees. I could talk of nothing except how much I loved those trees.
Mom bought me one. I didn't want her to, but she tells me that they spend money on my brothers, and I need to have my turn too. Fair play, equal treatment and all that. Hearing that, I let my inner twelve-year-old out and got a little greedy - eight perennial plants somehow wound up in my arms as well.


I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can get busy planting.

Oh, and Mom bought me a spade as well. The only shovels I have are for pushing snow.
When we got back to Chez Peepee, mom inspected my garden boxes, checked out my eight (yes, 8) rosebushes and pronounced that I do indeed need a fence, but it's a pretty good house, meant just for me. She's seen it before, but wanted to reassure herself (and also me) that I'm in a pretty good spot.
In other news, my brother is participating in a quad rally that is donating the proceeds to the education trust fund established for the kids of my classmate that died. I'm going to send as big a cheque as I can afford. After this past couple days spent with my family, I'm even more aware of how lucky I really am.

No comments: