Saturday, May 17, 2008

Paradigm Shift

The week I moved into Chez Peepee, I rented a car. As I was running around moving my valuables (i.e. the plants and the cats) from point A to point B, it occurred to me that now that I no longer had to haul my purchases up three flights of stairs, I could stock up on things.

So before I returned the rental, I wandered by Supervalu, to get a few things.

I left with a bulk pack of microwave popcorn. Which sounds really stupid. The fact is, I was overwhelmed by choice and didn’t know where to begin. Would I ever use a case of tomato soup in a reasonable amount of time? I didn’t know, but suspected not.

Fast forward a few months to Christmas. Again, I had a rental, and I went grocery shopping, having figured out that carrying canned goods on my back for any length of time was not good for me (this is a lesson I have to learn repeatedly, apparently).

I spent a whopping $90. I got that case of tomato soup. And I must admit, I felt like a real grown up. Checking prices, thinking about value for money. So very exciting, especially on Boxing Day.

Now, a year and a half later, I can bulk shop with the best of them. My brother and sister-in-law were in town the other day, and we went to Costco.

Between the three of us (four, including Mini B) we filled two of those ginormous carts and spent $640. I now have enough toilet paper to last me a year. Good times.

P. S. How sad is my life that I am posting about grocery shopping?

No comments: