Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My back yard is 10,000 x awesome




That's why I haven't been blogging. It's too nice to be inside.
I made a promise to myself, sometime in June, that I would get my money's worth out of this place, and sit outside, all summer. And, judging by the eternal sun burn, I have.
Three of the seven daisy plants my mom bought me have bloomed. I got a whole bunch of lilies from a colleague, which seem to be taking well, and there's tomatoes! (some of which are now ripe. I had just about given up hope).
I also got five full, luscious pea pods, which I ate raw with my morning coffee one Saturday. I am a real gardener! I wasn't going to call myself a gardener until I ate food from seeds I planted myself.
Now, I have.
But, it was five pea pods. So, I'm a crappy real gardener. But, I've learned lots (like squash flowers close at night. Who knew?) this year, and next year is going to be amazing!
My dad made me a stand for flowering baskets out of an antique rake (the kind pulled behind a tractor) so I will not be putting flowers in the garden beds next year. It'll be all about the food.

1 comment:

concerned citizen said...

i fully agree about your yard being awesome!

congrats on the peas. at one with nature. that is the best feeling.