Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Guilty as sin

I don't adhere to any established faith. I believe in being kind, helpful where I can be, assist others less fortunate, etc. The Golden Rule, basically (Do unto others as you would have done unto you). I fail sometimes, but I do try to not be rude. Rudeness should be the eighth deadly sin, but that's neither here nor there.

Therefore, I'm a little surprised at myself. I am guilty of coveting thy (former) neighbour's yarn shop.

Last fall, I moved from my beloved, spacious apartment in a very desirable neighbourhood to a tiny little house far, far away from my friends and favourite watering holes. I did this because the house is perfect for me, and to purchase a similar house in my former neighbourhood is far, far beyond my means.

In this desirable neighbourhood, there is a consignment clothing store, which changed hands about a month before I moved. The new owner is a knitter, and she converted part of the shop into a yarn shop. So, perhaps it's just as well that I no longer live just three blocks down the street. In fact, I know it is. The day before I moved, I marched in to see what this was all about, and got talking to this wonderful woman. And signed up for the mailing list.

Now, I go to knit night without fail, and it is the social highlight of my week. She has done a lovely job of making a little yarn heaven. Every time I go in, I want, want, want to own my own business, teach others to knit, and be surrounded by yarn all day long. So, I've done the next best thing.

I've horned in. I have loads of business skills, I can sell things, when I choose to, and I know knitting. So much so, that I'm teaching classes, beginning shortly. My lovely yarn-shop proprietress thinks I'm doing her a favour, but really, I'm doing it for completely selfish reasons. I want this business to succeed. I want a community of knitters around me. I don't want her to get burned out and pack it all in, because I can't afford to buy her out. I've been pretty aggressive about this, too. I give unsolicited business advice. I offer to teach. I interrupt conversations, giving unsolicited knitting advice. I volunteered to work Saturdays in exchange for yarn (that was really selfish!). Details to follow.

The sin part: I am completely unrepentant. I am thrilled that the proprietress has accepted my large knitting personality, and I don't care that I'm being bossy. I will envy her shop, but root for her success as much as I can. In fact, that's where I'm going to spend all my yarn money. I might as well pay her to work there.

So, if the stars are aligned, and you are a knitter in Winnipeg, or want to knit in Winnipeg, please drop by: Wolseley Wardrobe, 889 Westminster Avenue. Once I start working, I promise I will leave the hot rollers at home.

No comments: