Thursday, March 22, 2007

To frog or not to frog

that is the question;

a tale of two socks;

sock it to me...



I could go on and on.



My lovely boss, MW, is having a birthday on April 13. She's a very special person, and we've been having a hard time in our department. So, I want to celebrate the day she joined humanity. I would have been kicking stones down the street about three months ago if it weren't for her.


Plus, she's a big fan of my knitting.

I started the sock on the right, first. I wanted a new-to-me pattern, and I wanted it to be tough, lacy and cably, to express in knitting how very dear she is to me. I don't like it. I know that lace looks like barf until you block it, but this, even stretched and pinned, looks terrible because of the reverse stockingette beside the regular stockingette. It's supposed to look like the Bells and Whistles socks by Mona Schmidt in the holiday 2006 issue of Interweave knits. Can't find a picture.

So, with the other ball of yarn, I cast on this. A pattern I've made before, and quite enjoyed. It has all the elements except that it's not as difficult. Only an eight row pattern, not 20. Looks much nicer too. With yarn-overs and cables with simple stockingette, I think it is a much more elegant sock. However, this sock is not very stretchy, and my boss is quite a heavy lady. I've never seen her in a skirt, so I don't know if she's got chubby ankles or not. I will be totally guessing on the size.

Who am I kidding? My mind is made up. I'm frogging the one on the right. Just talking about it has made me realize what I really want to do. If the socks don't fit, I'll make her another pair.

As an aside, why do I sometimes get a double-space between paragraphs and sometimes not? It's driving me nuts. I do prefer things to be neat and orderly. I know my writing's not the best, but it should at least be easy to see on the screen. Yet one more thing to figure out. Sigh.

No comments: