Monday, October 27, 2008

Duh!

For the past six months or so, my thermostat has read "ba lo." No idea what it meant, and didn't really care.

Until today. When I got home from work (after an hour and a half's walk, thanks very much), I thought it seemed cold in here. Then, after some time had passed, I thought I would crank up the thermostat, because the wine was sitting at 17 degrees, and it's better to be between 18 and 25 degrees.

Pushed the button. Nothing. Pushed all the buttons. Still nothing.

Hmm. I thought to myself, "Man, I hope the pilot light isn't out. I would have no idea what to do, and no one to call about that one (too poor to call my handyman right now)."

So, bravely, I go down to check (still haven't figured out how to change the filter, but I can see the pilot light without opening anything). Whew! Pilot light was on. Come back upstairs, carefully avoiding looking at the mess that is the basement of doom right now.

Flip the little cap on the thermostat, and for the first time, actually read the sticker on the inside.

First sentence: This thermostat requires batteries to operate.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have heat!

No comments: