Monday, April 28, 2008

I'm no genius, but at least I try

Couple of things, before I settle down to another evening of audio lectures and computer tutorials.


These are chives. I transplanted three plants last year, from the many plants growing along my neighbour's fence (on my property). Happily, they made it through the winter. I am not known for my gardening skillz. Really, this is a fluke.

Right or wrong, I cut a bunch tonight because I am desperate for an egg-salad sandwich (one of the few things I miss about working downtown is that it is no longer convenient to go to my favourite soup-and-sandwich joint), and there were no green onions in the grocery store. But, I had a brainwave, and decided to use chives instead. Those weensy little things smell fantastic.

Genius move number two: I have learned, through the glory and beauty that is Ravelry, that I have been doing my SSK's incorrectly.


I immediately issue a deep and sincere apology to all those I have shown how to do an SSK over the past two years.

It should be: slip as if to knit, slip as if to knit, slide those two stitches back to the left needles and knit two together.

Not knit two together through back of loop.

All ready, I'm trying to retrain my brain. It's not going to be easy, because I have a bunch of single socks here that should have a matching mate, which means doing it the wrong way on purpose.

Also, genius move number three: After years of knitting socks, I'm determined to centre the pattern over the foot, which usually means moving some stitches around when it comes time for starting the heel flap. The trick is, look at the stitches at both the beginning and end of the heel flap, or else things are going to be even more lopsided.

Frogging is my friend. In knitting, you always get a do-over.

1 comment:

Purler Bear said...

ACK! I've been doing my SSK's wrong too then! Where have we gone wrong???