Wednesday, January 28, 2009

You can keep your $54.

I've been more than a little obsessed, the last couple days, about the budget. Passing the budget means that we don't have an election.

I'm tired of elections.

I'm also tired of a Prime Minister who acts more like a dictator, doesn't want to listen to anyone else, who has such a stranglehold on his party that no one dare oppose him on the record, who hasn't let his party groom anyone to replace him, in the event that he resigns.

Now, I was very excited about the possibility of a coalition, and I recognize that lots of people were unhappy with that. My fondest hope is to see the NDP become the Official Opposition. A coalition moved that dream closer to reality. Not gonna happen now, and that's OK. I'll put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

So, in the interest of being open-minded, I took at look at that 350+ page document and did some quick math.

Given the reduction in the tax rate, and the fact that I don't intend to spend more than $1,000 on home renovations (unless my toilet falls through the floor), it means that I will save approximately $56.

Hmmm. $87 billion deficit and $56 comes to me.

Mr. Prime Minister? You can keep your lousy $56. I don't think you've done the math.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The husband and I were talking about this tonight. I kept asking him 'how much would it "save us". He couldn't come up with the answer.
You did.
So yeah, don't know if 56$ is worth it or not. We want to do laminate upstairs eventually. This certainly isn't going to tip the scale of lets purchase enough to do the upstairs and do one room at a time as we have time.