Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Me? A writer?

So, I'm in this little political satire sketch comedy show.

Over a year ago, our parent organization died, so those of us who cared rolled up our sleeves and got to work.

We are a bona fide not-for-profit corporation now, with a GST number and everything.

As VP Finance, I often have to drop into meetings to talk to people, pick up documents, collect money, etc.

I've become hooked on the writing committee. Now, I'm planning on sitting in on these meetings. It's a fascinating process, and the stories have depth that I never imagined.

I was tickled pink a few weeks ago, when my suggestion for a character was accepted and written into the script. I was further chuffed when my support for someone else's joke was acknowledged as a good use of "foreshadowing."

I was beyond thrilled, when talking about another sketch that wasn't really working, I threw out a sketch idea, saying, "I'm not a writer, so I don't really know, but shouldn't this story really be about.... a cool idea."

There were satisfied looks, nods of approval. Others chimed in, riffing on the theme. The head writer looked straight at me and said, "You're here. You are a writer, now."

And then I left early to catch my bus, but the last I heard was that they were building a sketch based on my idea! Holy shit!

No comments: