Sunday, December 28, 2008

I am steamed. Really, truly steamed.

I just got a heads up on a Yahoo news story about the possibility of re-opening the abortion debate.

The Honourable Member for Winnipeg South, Rod Bruinooge is reportedly the head of a secret parliamentary committee that appears to be aiming to criminalize abortion.

That is wrong.

A woman should never, ever be required to carry a fetus to term, if she is unwilling or unable. I don't care if the woman in question is 17 or 57. If she doesn't want it, or is unable to care for it, or is the victim of unspeakable violence, a woman should not have to risk her life to bear a child she does not want or is unable to care for.

Period. End of discussion.

If I were pregnant, and felt that termination was my only (and right) choice, I would want to have the procedure in a safe environment.

Criminalizing abortion will not end abortion. It will just send abortion procedures and providers underground or south of the border. Mr. Bruinooge, you've got some 'splaining to do. You can expect my letter shortly.

Either abortion remains legal, or you (and I mean you, Mr. Bruinooge) can bear the next unwanted baby that comes around. Then, maybe (and that's a big maybe) you can tell me what to do with my body.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't even breathe... this makes me so sick.
I my first shift next week with women who have made that decision, for better or worse. I am just there to hold their hand and let them know it is okay to feel whatever they feel. Because there are some who do not have friends, family, support to be with them.
Excuse me while I retch. I can't believe this is happening in this day and age.

Unknown said...

Bruinooge is a typical idiot man who thinks he can foist his beliefs on women who are in a vulnerable position.

Damn good thing for him that he's not my MP! I'd be looking for a way to "recall" him.

My body is MINE and no one but me and my doctor will decide what to do with it. F@@k him.

concerned citizen said...

ugh. hopefully this plan of theirs to open this debate goes no where.

good on you to blog about it. we cannot take these rights for granted....