Friday, December 26, 2008

Oi! Christmas!

Me: You know, I have a problem with Christmas. It's meaning has been completely perverted. If you give a gift, in the true sense of the word, it's freely given. No obligation.

Dad: You're right. You know, I was doing...(a job, on a thing that I don't understand) and I was talking to this nice young fellow (whose expertise is also a thing that I don't understand) and he gave me this doohickey.... and then he asked me to make some other doohickey (by the way, my dad is a blacksmith, and a damn fine one) and I told him that was a fair exchange. The fellow said no. I gave you a gift. I want to pay you for the doohickeys.

Me: Dad. You just received a gift. You don't value yourself enough. You are a good man. You are deserving of gifts.

Dad: Oh, well, I just like to work hard...

Me: Dad. Shut Up. You deserve a gift.

Dad: Oh.

Yes. Dad. You deserve gifts. You are a good man. You are the best man in my life. Don't sell yourself short. Please.

Later:

Me: And guess what? Jesus was probably black!

Dad: Yeah, and honestly, being born in a stable was a blessing! That was divine intervention. It was quiet, without the drink and the gambling, and nice clean straw is better than whatever passed for a bed in the day.
............................

Aaaw Dad. I agree that Jesus was a pretty cool guy. No argument on the hygiene either. That's a pretty sweet perspective. Makes me want to believe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're entire family rocks.
See you on Tuesday?