Tuesday, March 4, 2008

New tricks

No, not those kinds of tricks. Get your minds out of the freaking gutter!

Every once in a while, I try to break out of my groove and learn something new.

I'm making some socks right now, for a dear friend. She has tiny, tiny feet, and I have only two skeins of dk weight yarn. Yet another of those situations where I'm afraid I might run out, and the yarn is so gorgeous that I want to use every precious inch. Plus, she actually bought this yarn, so I should, in good consciousness, use as much of it as I can.

Enter in Judy's Magic Cast On. I am in love. It is elegant, instinctual and far, far, far less fiddly than a provisional cast on and then using short rows to shape the toe (not that there is anything wrong with Wendy's method, which I used last summer, to great satisfaction).

I mean, just look at this:


Isn't it cool?

And here we are, ready to shape the heel.



How well-timed is that? Seriously, my luck is scary, sometimes.


I'm torn between an afterthought or a short-row heel. I think my short row heel needs practice, and that way, I don't need to fiddle with breaking the yarn.

I'll let you know how it goes (naturally).

No comments: