Saturday, March 1, 2008

Stealth knitting

It turns out, there is an advantage to being holed up here in Chez Peepee.

Birthday socks for M.

I was able to complete a pair of socks, and the recipient had no idea they were coming (though I'm pretty sure she knew that socks were coming, eventually).

This is my first pair of socks made from non-wool yarn. It was an interesting experience.

I made my standard 64 stitch broken rib sock on 2.75 mm needles. The yarn is very loosely spun, compared to what I am used to, and the fabric is very, very stretchy. Future non-wool socks will have more than 10% negative ease.

It was further complicated by the fact that I neglected to check the yardage before clicking "proceed to checkout" and I thought I would run short. Turns out, I needn't have worried - I have a whopping 11 grams left over from the original 100 g.

The yarn is Panda Cotton from Crystal Palace, purchased online at The Loopy Ewe. I have two more colourways, and am looking forward to making more non-wool socks. Eventually. There's so much sock yarn, so little time.

No comments: