Thursday, January 17, 2008

The shopping stops, NOW

So, I've gone a little crazy with yarn shopping lately. My mental estimate is that I've spent close to $700 in yarn since January 1. That's a fair amount of yarn. More than enough to keep me busy for the next year. Never mind that it's a fair chunk of that bonus cheque I had earmarked for home improvement.

I'm late to the party, but I'm adding myself to the "knit from your stash in 2008" bunch of knitters out there.

I'm going to try to follow the rules that Wendy set out in 2007, for her resolution to knit from her stash.

And to take it even further, I've been inspired lately by Mother of Chaos. She is trying to get her family finances under control, and for the next few weeks, she is limiting her discretionary spending to $100 per week (including groceries and gas. Note: this is a family of six. Wow!). Since I spend well over $100 a week on liquor and other consumable crap, I find this amazing. If a family of six in California can do it, so can I.

I am going to try and limit my weekly spending on entertainment, groceries, taxis, liquor, and all other discretionary spending to $100 until March 15. That's my exam day, and after that, I will deserve a treat. Weeks will go from Thursday until Wednesday, in order to fit with my school time-table, which is the rhythm that my life is grooving to, these days. Ergo, this will begin today.

This will be hard for me. I'm a social person that craves going out. I adore good food and fine wine. I am not used to denying myself. If I want something, I go out and get it.

But, I'm a 35-year-old professional accountant who earns good money and is tired from living paycheque to paycheque. I want a home, not just a place to sleep, and that requires money. I want to travel, and that cannot happen if I piddle every dollar away on something just because it tastes good. There is no one to look after me when I am old. I cannot depend on anyone else. I have to stop living in the moment, and start thinking about the future. In a serious way, instead of throwing a few bucks away every month and feeling good about that paltry effort. I want a savings account with money in it. I want to maximize tax-advantaged (that's a word I just made up) retirement savings.

Over the past year, I learned to own my life. Now, it's time to start owning my money.

It's bloody well time I grew up, and started practising what I preach.

No comments: