Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Brass rail rule

I wish I could talk more about my show. The reason I don't, other than wanting to maintain some semblance of anonymity is because of something called the "brass rail rule." Which basically is a version of "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

However, in rehearsal tonight, I forgot to knit, I was laughing so hard. I stayed until nearly the bitter end, because it was so funny, and I didn't even have to be there. The funniest bit was not even in the script, but it was delivered so well, that I hope the mistake happens again on show night.

One of our most-beloved cast members has been in the show for more than 25 years. At one point, his character comes on stage, and is supposed to say "Mr. Harper?" As if to address the current prime minister. Apparently, every rehearsal, he has entered and said... "Mr. Turner?"

This is funny for three reasons:
  • John Turner was prime minister for four months in 1984, because he won the leadership, not an election. I am far too tired to give a lecture on the Canadian electoral process, for any foreign readers. Wikipedia is your friend (if taken with a healthy glass of skepticism).
  • The line is delivered with such conviction. That particular actor is convinced that it's the right line, and Turner is indeed prime minister.
  • The actor's response to this (ad-libbing, naturally) is "It's Harper, you asshole!" Given how Mr. Harper is portrayed in this sketch, that is hilarious.
Guess you have to be there.

If you happen to be in Winnipeg, and have a burning desire to attend the funniest, but most un-known show in town, it's this Friday, 8 pm. Tickets are $35, and it will be money well spent, I promise. Email is: knitdrinktink at mts dot net.

2 comments:

Deborah Cryderman said...

I swear I'm only getting half the joke but STILL I'm laughing my pants off! It's going to be a wonderful show. Break a leg!

Misstea said...

Well, thanks very much.

Dress rehearsal had some moments, so we know it's going to be a good show!

I have a pretty new dress to wear. And shoes.