Monday, November 19, 2007

Rectangles are boring

Especially rectangles that are only one colour.

I am a far better knitter than I was a year ago. I attribute this to knitting far more than I used to. Also, I am challenging myself by trying to make complicated things, occasionally.

Therefore, the red scarf is boring me to tears. It's currently 27.5 inches, and I figured I would cast off between 55 and 60 inches. Blocking would bring it to the 72 inches that is the ideal scarf length, in my opinion.

Thank goodness this thing has a deadline, otherwise it would be thrown in the basket and ignored.

Don't get me wrong - I love the colour and the yarn (Patons Classic Merino is comfort yarn to me, always reliable, always the same), and I certainly adore the recipient. I'm just really, really glad now that I'm not doing it in oatmeal. That truly would be a crime.

There is no photo, because it looks the same as yesterday's photo, only longer.

As per my usual routine, I had a few glasses of wine last night. Perhaps a few too many, as I stayed up too late and had a wee bit of a headache today.

I finished reading the book, and it was delightful. I was sorry when it was over, because I wasn't ready for it to be done. There were a couple of phrases that I mean to go back and underline for myself when I need a little pick-me-up. It was a delightful way to spend an afternoon and evening, too much wine or no.

I did a load of laundry, but did not wash the swatches. Grr. I'm sure, if I try really hard, I could find enough dirty laundry in this house to do another load. Perhaps even tonight.

I did not do very much work today. Instead, I spent a whole lot of time looking at the Do's and Don'ts on www.glamour.com. People are very mean, that's all I have to say. Whatever happened to "if you can't say anything nice..." I am also amazed at the number of people who fail to look in the mirror before they leave the house. Now, I am no better, I am sure, but all MY skirts end just above the knee. And well, the ones that don't are never worn to the office.

Beats working when one can't concentrate, however.

The bossman did poke his head into my office today, however, to tell me that he hopes, no matter where my career path may lead me, that I do not lose the attention to detail he is becoming accustomed to and likes very much.

That was very comforting to hear, because I've been concerned that my performance has not been up my (impossibly high) standards, as a result of other demands on my time and the afore-mentioned little too much wine occasionally. Plus, it's just nice to know that one's efforts are appreciated.

I did have to tell him that I am incapable of working without that attention to detail. I've built an excellent professional reputation on it (something of which I am very proud) and it fills a psychological need. I simply can't process an single entry without having a supporting calculation (I have also learned to not rely on memory. Mine is sketchy, at best. I blame the wine).

I have big plans for how I'm going to spend the next two weeks, since I've learned so much over the past six weeks - how transactions are generated, what our parent company expects, and what I can do to make the process better, stronger, more timely. I can hardly believe I've been there three months all ready.

I love my job. I couldn't sleep last night, because I was excited about going to work. That's a nice change from not being able to sleep because I didn't want to go to work.

No comments: